Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Comfort Cafe R.I.P.

This review is for a place that no longer exists, but it still deserves mention because I enjoyed many-a-meal here. There's a new place there now and I'll eventually give you the details on it, but for now, it's all Old School.

I'm not gay, but the Comfort Cafe was. It was next to the Body Builders Gym on Hyperion in Silver Lake. The gym, which I belong to, inadvertently led me to the Comfort Cafe, being that one of its' owners decided to open a healthy meets delicious little neighborhoody spot. (Btw the gym is also "really" gay, but again, I'm not. Seriously. Ask my boyfriend! hehehe!) Now I'm comfortable enough in my adoration and admiration of the pink pastry to frequent both of these establishments (the cafe and the gym) but I only recommend eating at the former. For shits and giggles you can refer to it as the "cumface cafe" as my wife and I do - as a childish jab at it's gayness. ("My wife" is not code for "some dude" it's a real woman. Take that prop 8!)

The food here was really good. I mean really good. And people knew it. The cool thing was that not enough people knew it. Which was awesome. I must have eaten here 50 times and I never waited for more than 2 people in front of me. The food was always hot, pretty healthy (really healthy if you wanted that shit), and really delicious. I'm honestly saying as scrumptious as Tyrese's abs on a hammock in July. Now that's HOT! What? Oh, the food. You could get all kinds of veggie, protein, beans, and wheat at this place, but I'm a man of principle and high cholesterol so nothing wets my whistle like the breakfast of fat men - steak and eggs. This is a staple of any lazy person's diet, but more often than not, it is a catastrophic failure. Mostly because this meal is usually consumed at diners and it's no secret that diners use steak that is, well, shit. Shit steaks make for more of a shit 'n eggs meal and that's not what I'm going for. The "cumface" used really tender, marinated cuts of beef with all the flavoring you needed. No need for steak sauce, this was actual quality meat. The eggs were always made perfectly to your liking and they also gave you a sliced tomato which provided a nice cleansing contrast to the beef. Don't try to question this. It really was a treat. As sure as capri pants are gay and European (is there a difference?) this was a steak and eggs worth talking about...and missing. I miss you delicious steak and eggs. I miss you.

Love,
Tom (your boyfriend)

No comments: